A Quick Cloud Prod
What exactly is the mental/cultural/political barrier for adoption of cloud computing and SaaS-based solutions?
It should no longer be technical barriers – nor cost – nor reliability – so what’s the disconnect?
Think about it…
Most companies do not own and manage (without third party suppliers/partners – the “analog” to cloud services):
- Their own phone company/network
- Their energy generation
- Their own internet service
- Their own shipping service
- All of their legal needs
- All payroll processing
- Insurance needs
- Marketing (Display advertising of all kinds, especially)
And the list could easily go on (please, feel free to add your own examples in the comments)…
Hint: You Are Already Partly Virtual!
So what do organizations *really* have to lose with letting go of control to put content/computing into the cloud?
A massive percentage of business activities have already been handed over/outsourced to a variety of other services/participants – so what makes the final conceptual leap to move into the cloud so difficult?
- Fear of saving money?
- Fear of delivering too quickly?
- Fear of too much flexibility?
- Fear of lack of skills to jump into a virtualized world? Perhaps.
- Worries about “hackers” and PCI compliance? It’s not necessarily more risky to hire someone else to shoulder that burden than to handle yourself (and I could recommend some penetration testers that will likely prove that you aren’t as secure as you believe).
- Concerns about ability to integrate to “non-cloud” applications/systems? Possible – but there are options for nearly any scenario.
For 2011 – What’s Your Cloud Strategy?
If you’ve run into barriers for cloud usage, or (perhaps) *you* (or your boss) are the barrier to cloud usage in your organization – what are you going to do to experiment with the cloud and validate whether the cloud concerns are real?
Comment below – let’s see what we can do to help others who may have run into similar issues.
Remember the watch phrase I’ve started talking about recently?
Distributed Convergence – what are you doing to take advantage of the strengths and opportunities of Distributed Convergence?
Cloud computing, cloud storage, cloud collaboration, cloud applications, cloud integration – all very real, solvable now, and getting better, faster, cheaper, more manageable every day.
The cloud plays a very real role here – are you ready?